Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My Quiet Book

My friend, Hailey, and I decided to undertake the crafting task of a quiet book. We were inspired by our friend, Erika's, amazing quiet book. This one only took me about 4 months to finish! Today was the day. I owe most of the creativity in here to Hailey. I just copied her ideas. We did most of it together and therefore have almost identical books.

I got the whole thing done except sewing all of the pages together and then to the cover and realized that it was too thick for my machine to sew through. I searched Moscow for someone who could help and finally found a store with an industrial sewing machine. I'm SO glad it's done and I think I love it a little more than I should... Now I just need some kids to go with it!

The Front Cover

Title Page

Humpty Dumpty


There was an Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe
(This is to practice lacing and tying)

Mary Mary Quite Contrary
(The flowers are buttons that come off and are reversible)

The Itsy Bitsy Spider
(I took this to my preschool and this was most of their favorite. The spider moves up and down and the clouds lift up to show the sun.)


Fish Alive
(The fish just go back and forth)

Little Jack Horner
(Those are plums in the picture below. They fit on the kids thumbs.)


The Wise Old Owl


Star Light, Star Bright
(I told the preschoolers they could make a wish on this page and they all did...and thought it was cool!)

13 comments:

Wendy Sue said...

It's the cutest thing ever!!! How did you write the words?

Susannah said...

Iron on transfer paper. I'm glad you like it! I LOVE it!

etreiersen said...

Wow, you are so talented in so many ways. The book looks great! If you ever need any kids to use your book with, you can always borrow Truman :D

Strawn Fairy Tales said...

Love, love this book! Wish I had one!

Erika and Jason said...

I love it I am so excited to see it in real life! You did a great job!

Alona said...

That turned out so ridiculously cute! I love the stripes on the front AND the coconut button! It couldn't be better. You should think about making one for me sometime even though I need more than kids (a husband) before I would actually need one.

Dadra said...

That is sooo adorable. Would you mind making one for me too? I am so not handy with a sewing machine but I think it's a wonderful idea!!

Susannah said...

I don't know if you guys could afford for me to make you this book! If time was money, this was VERY expensive!

deej said...

Can't wait to see it in person! I'm sure you can use it on Adam to keep him quiet during church til the time you have kids . . . Hope you two are doing good - am missin' ya!

Alona said...

You and Haley should start up and quiet book business! I want in!

123 checkoutourfamily said...

Love them! Okay,so you might have to give me lessons :)

Paige said...

hi Susannah! It's me Paige from the ward. I am amazed at your quiet book. seriously. it is soooo cute! I just might have to borrow it so I can steal your and Hailey's ideas. Looks like so much work but someday you're little one will love it so much! good job!

Arthur V. / Gene D. W. said...

Excellent..I made one for Eric and he loved it...it took me forever too and the rest of the children used his and I think I still don't have enough time to ever make another one like I did for Eric. I understand how majorly difficult it was and say congratulations...it will be worth it soon.