Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Genevieve

I knew there was a reason I never took myself off as an author of this blog after I created it! This is Alona and I'd like to share with you the photos and my thoughts/perspective on the birth of my niece, Genevieve.
Things started off at a routine OB/GYN appointment Susannah had on her due date - December 28th. Everything seemed normal, and Susannah was dilated to a 2, but the nurse thought that the baby's heart sounded sort of different.
They sent Susannah across the street to the hospital for a stress test. The people at the hospital said the heart was fine and everyone was healthy, but that Susannah was having some contractions. They monitored her and the contractions were 4 minutes apart consistently. They called Susannah's Dr. and she had Susannah walk around the hospital for an hour before they measured her again. Unfortunately, she hadn't progressed past a 2, so they decided to discharge her.
We headed back to the apartment to get things ready for Adam's birthday dinner. Also, his sister Andrea and her husband Rick and daughter Madelyn were coming up for a visit from Boise. During all this, Susannah's contractions came harder and closer together. We finished up dinner and the birthday celebration, then headed to the hospital. They admitted her close to 9:15 pm. She was dilated to a 3.
The contractions were pretty brutal, but she seemed to have some good downtime in between contractions where she could relax. Meanwhile, feeling somewhat useless, I start taking pictures out the hospital room window since we were in the beginnings of a blizzard. It was so pretty, though.
I tried to use these pictures as a way to take Susannah's mind off some of the pain she was feeling. I don't think it helped much.
Something that did seem to help her was sitting on this rubber ball. This made me laugh because Adam was rubbing her head, my mom had her shoulders, and I was rubbing her lower back.
After awhile, all the fun was gone. Her contractions never really went down - they were so bad and it broke my heart to see how bad she was hurting. My mom and I both talked about how the worst part for us was seeing her cry because it hurt so bad. After a couple of hours of these terrible contractions, she got an epidural at 1:30 am. That allowed her to rest and really helped her labor progress. They broke her water sometime around 3:00 am. She was dilated to a 6 at that point. A little after 5:00 she was 100% effaced and fully dilated so they called the Dr. Susannah started pushing at 5:30 am and Evie was born at 6:27 am. She did SO AWESOME!!!
I didn't have a very good angle for this picture, but this is right after she was born. They put her on Susannah's chest for just a minute.
The nurses then took her over to a table to get her cleaned up a little and to check to make sure everything was okay.
We were going to film with Susannah's video camera but it wasn't working, so I grabbed my little Cannon and shot a few videos right after she was born.
Here's Adam cutting the cord!
Evie did not love this process as you can see.
Sad baby!!!!!
She weighed in at 7 lbs 15 oz and was 20 inches long.
I love this first picture of the family with the new addition!
I really like some of the pictures I took and just fiddled with them for a second in i photo.
Susannah was so cute with Evie. She was so excited and couldn't stop staring at her.
I loved capturing a true smile from Adam. Any of you who know my history with that guy - especially where pictures are involved - can appreciate this. It was so sweet to see his tears of joy as Evie was born and he got to hold her.
Here I am! I LOVE her!
Yay for Grandmas! I'm glad my mom and I could be there.
Poor little Evie had to go through lots of tests, shots, and check-ups.
I've never thought my sister was more beautiful then I did at this time. Evie latched right on and she was able breastfeed her right away.
So exciting!
The nurse gave Evie her first bath to get her all cleaned up. She seemed to like the warm water, but not being moved around.
We think she looks more like a Warr than a Bushman, but we can see some resemblance to Susannah too. All I know is that she is SO CUTE!
Another shot of the happy family as they are ready to move into a post partum room instead of a delivery room.
We were all pretty beat at this point. My mom and I braved the blizzard and headed to Adam and Susannah's place to shower and take naps.
We came back a few hours later for more fun and pictures. Looking back, I realized I didn't have any pictures of Evie once she really pinked up, so I had to take some more, of course!
Looking concerned.
Hungry?
Loving the beanie. I can't wait to play dress-up when she gets to come home!
So sweet!
The hospital provided a little dinner for two for these guys. My mom and I watched Evie while they ate.
She slept most of the time, but was ready for mom after about 40 minutes. She was hungry and we couldn't help her with that problem!
Adam was tuckered out. We were watching a movie.
I loved their movie watching positions!
I LOVED this day even though it was so crazy! I'm so excited and know Susannah and Adam are even more excited! I'm sure Susannah will post more later with her thoughts, but I wanted to do this for her so she could spend her time recovering and enjoying her new baby!

19 comments:

Arthur V. / Gene D. W. said...

Today is Heather's 35th birthday. Seeing Susannah and little Evie was so priceless...I shed tears through the viewing of this whole thing. I kept thinking of the Mother's Day phone call when Arthur and I were visiting your parents. The present is here, the gift arrived safely. Congratulations to all & its good to see Grandma Wendy holding her Mother's Day present. Mother's Day will never be the same. May The Lord's blessings be with Susannah as she heals. Thank you for posting these. We love you Alonoa. Hug's to you forever.

Kristal said...

So cute! She's adorable, and they're a cute little family and I want another baby girl!!!!! Good job Susannah!!!!!

Dadra said...

Congratulation!! She is sooo adorable and snuggly cute. I am so happy for all of you!

Unknown said...

I adore this post Alona! Congratulations to Susannah, Adam and the e.ntire family! What a wonderful time to welcome a new baby to the world! I got emotional reading your words and seeing the pictures. Such a beautiful post.

Mauren said...

Yay!! Alona, you're right, she is really cute! Very exciting times ahead. Congratulations, Susannah and Adam!

Kurt n Des said...

I don't know if you can get more detailed then that! Good job Alona. How fun that you got to be there. Congrats to the whole family. I'm with Aunt Gene I was teary reading this post too.

hkissling said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hkissling said...

Alona, the pictures and story line were so touching! Thanks for posting all the beautiful pictures of your new niece. Congratulations, to Susannah and Adam!

deej said...

Oh Alona - THANK YOU! Such a beautiful touching post . . . sitting here with grandma tears rolling down my cheeks! I love that little Evie and can hardly wait to hold her in my arms and give her a hug and kiss! Your post was the next best thing to being there . . . and I am so glad that you got to be there! You will be the best ever aunt! Love you lots! Deej

Walkers said...

Congrats guys! She is so adorable! Thanks for getting it posted so quickly so we can all see her!

etreiersen said...

Congratualions Adam & Susannah! Evie is beautiful. I can't wait to meet her. I hope you recover quickly Susannah. Let me know if you need any help once family leaves.

Jessica Blankenberg said...

Thanks for sharing, Alona! I'm glad you were able to be there for all of it. Miss you and Sus both!!!

Dan and Alli Ralphs said...

Congrats!! She is beautiful!!

Lorie Hurst said...

Look how adorable she is! I'm with Grandma Deej, tears rolling down this Grandmas cheeks as well. These new babes are so precious! Congratulations to you both!

Strawn Fairy Tales said...

So gorgeous! I'm excited to see you three when we return :) Happy everything went well!

Jessica said...

She is precious and now I am baby hungry! Congratulations you guys!

Tanika said...

I am so excited for you guys! Susannah looks great and Evie is a cutie. Congratulations to the Bushmans and the Warrs for the new addition. Miss you all..Take care and enjoy being a grandma Wendy!

Linda said...

I am thrilled that you shared this blog with me! I want to meet your wonderful sister, Evie's aunt and fabulous blogger. You three look so happy. Love you, Linda

shellysanford said...

OH WE ARE SO HAPPY FOR YOU TWO! CONGRATULATIONS AND ENJOY EVERY MINUTE:)