Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Palouse LaTrek

The "Palouse LaTrek" for those of you who don't know, is a hiking group compiled mostly of retired women. You might be wondering how I know about this group...well, I suppose I am part of it! One of Adam's co-workers, Anne, is part of this group. Every Wednesday they pick a new hike and hit the trail. Today we went to White Pines. It is about 45 miles from Moscow.

Here is a picture of a 600 year old White Pine. They had to cut it down last year because it finally died.

Here is a shot of some of the group. There were 15 of us today. (They all thought I was much younger than I am!!!) All of the ladies were very nice. I got to know quite a few of them. Moscow is quite a melting pot. In this group there were women (and this is a women only group) from the US, Germany, France, Poland, England, Malaysia and probably a few others that I am missing. I loved listening to all of the accents.

In it not publicized nor posted anywhere, but up on the White Pines trail, if you know where to go, you can find this old WWII plane wreckage. It was spread out over a good chunk of the mountain top.

We had to hike through some pretty thick brush to get to it all.

The soldiers survived the plane crash. The ejected before they hit the mountain and then had to make their way to the bottom for help without a trail.

This fallen sign was posted by the majority of the wreckage.

All in all it was a good day. They have invited me to join them next week (where we might add a little huckleberry picking to the hike). It keeps me busy and helps me meet new people while I'm looking for a job!

7 comments:

123 checkoutourfamily said...

I love accents! Sounds like a great way to meet people as well as get a good workout.Happy job hunting!

Mom said...

That sounds like so much fun. Maybe I should come and go on hike someday. I fit the age group at least!

Susannah said...

Come on up mom...they'd love it, and so would I!

Alona said...

What a cool opportunity! I'm glad you got to join the group! How old did they think you were and did you fess up to your real age? :)

Susannah said...

They all thought I was a young college student. I never told them my actual age, but I told them how long I've been teaching and the usual comment was..."oh...you look so young"!

Arthur V. / Gene D. W. said...

I love huckleberries! We picked them forever when I was young...they take tons longer to fill a basket than raspberries...my mouth is watering as I write this. Welcome to the Idaho wilderness...too fun you get all that good fresh air in those Arizona and former Houston lungs...enjoy!

deej said...

Thanks for sharing your raspberry jam! What a treat . . . it's tucked away in the freezer for a special day - unless Vic finds it first! Hope you guys had a good drive back north - it was so fun to have you here! You're becoming the blogging babe! I must get on and do a little catch up on mine . . . you're my inspiration! Let us know how the apricot jam turns out . . . And do send me the recipe for those cookies . . . though I know they must be only made occassionally!