Thursday, July 23, 2009

Weekend in Donnelly

Adam's good buddy, Brandon, invited us to spend the weekend with him and his family and a few other friends. We couldn't turn down the offer...so Adam took Friday off of work and we hit the road.

Disclaimer: Okay...so these next three pictures are supposed to be at the very bottom! I forgot about them, and couldn't move them without too much trouble, so here they are...at the beginning.

The GPS took us by Dworshak Dam. It was huge. I think it said it was 717 feet high.

More of the Dam...

Here is one of the little dirt roads the GPS took us on. I loved this little barn out in the middle of no where.


This is where our weekend really began!

The good thing about leaving late was that we got to enjoy a beautiful Idaho sunset. I wish I could have taken a picture of Adam taking these pictures. We opened the sun roof and he took it from there. Don't worry...I was driving.

Here is another shot with the silo's.

Once we got to the real mountainous area, the sun was down. As I was watching the truck in front of us I noticed that it said "Humble, TX" on the mud flap. It was a little shocking! Who knew I'd get a little reminder of home on a small Idaho road?!

It was too late for anything fun that night, but the next morning we were up bright and early wake boarding and surfing. It was only 60 degrees in the morning when we would go. I froze the whole day!

We decided to go hiking and fishing in the afternoon. That helped to warm me up! Here is Adam and Brandon up ahead.

Here is a shot of the lake we hiked to. I can't remember the name of it, but I think it is Loon Lake or something like that. Perhaps near Boulder Mountain? Don't quote me on that!

We brought our lunches with us and found this nice spot to eat.

While Adam and I ate, Brandon got started fishing. At one point, he got his fly line caught in the tree behind him and got so frustrated trying to get it out that he threw his pole in the lake. Adam laughed and laughed for a good long time.

This log was by where we ate. I think those are termite trails...I'm not sure, but I thought they looked really neat.

We went to a spot where there were no trees for us to get our lines caught in and started fishing away. I had never fly fished before, so Adam got his all set up before he gave me lessons.

And what do you know...I caught a fish!!! In fact, I was the only one to catch a fish. I don't think these two expert fishermen were really happy with me...neither was the fish for that matter.

Adam got some nice shots of me fishing...by nice, I mean the angle and the scenery.

When we got back, some other friends had arrived (Josh and Emily). We hit the lake again and had a lot of fun watching these guys to all their fancy tricks. This is Josh doing a flip. He just needs to work on the landing!

Here is Adam out on the wake board. He is really good.

And it's my turn. It was my goal for this trip to be able to cross the wake. Mission accomplished. I was successfully able to go back and forth!

Unfortunately, I got a little too over confident and tried to catch some "air". I was only going for a couple of inches...In stead, I got a face full of the lake. After a few face plants, I decided to take a break.

Brandon was up next. He was so close to doing a 360. It was the landing that killed him too!

The next day we went for another hike. Well, we drove most of the way, but we were in nature! We are up by the Brandage ski resort.

This rock made me a little nervous. It was a long way down.

Adam was a little more daring than I was and was climbing all over the place.

The highlight of the day was throwing/pushing boulders over the edge. Don't worry, there was no one below us. They would fall forever and then shatter into millions of pieces. I liked it more than I thought I would!

We found another little lake for some rock skipping and throwing contests.

Adam and Brandon definitely won those. I didn't know it was possible to skip a rock so many times.

Adam had been dying to go out on "The Maharajah", this giant wooden ski that no one likes and is supposedly really hard to get up on. (That is the cabin we stayed at in the background)

Getting ready for his big ride!

He actually got up really easy. Brandon got up to 43 miles an hour. We were going so fast. Adam stayed up the whole time, but it wore him out pretty quick.

We went the church the next day in McCall, ate lunch, played Scum, and headed home...the back way. We decided to follow the directions the GPS gave us. We ended up on some crazy dirt roads. Fun...but not quick!

5 comments:

Amanda Murdock said...

I LOVE this new layout on your blog! It's genius and SO very you! It's fantastic. ;)

So, when you all were on those rock that extended over the cliff edge I was like "get off that rock right now" and my hands are sweaty. haha That is soo scary. I am glad you had a fun weekend. I love the back roads and country life. The lake is one of my fave things to do ever! You did great on that wakeboard.

I miss your beautiful smile!!!

Alona said...

Look at you, Mrs. posting queen! I wish I could have been there, as long as we didn't go tubing!

Susannah said...

You should have seen me walking (...more like crawling) out to that rock! All for the name of photography!!

I'll have you know, Alona, I went on the tube...but only with Brandon's 3 year old nephew!

Mom said...

I'm with Amanda on the rock thing, my cautious mother instinct was in full force. The pictures are great though and since you're both still alive I'm ok!!

123 checkoutourfamily said...

So jealous of the lake trip. What a fun time! Seriously, it's been forever since I've tried skiing or wake boarding and that's fun stuff.